Monday, June 8, 2015

Destination. Arrival. Exploration.


         Today is Monday, which means I am typing this blog from my desk at work. All the while, trying to be as productive as I can in my proof reading. I never thought I would find myself working for a newspaper. One thing is for sure, deadline day here would make my Mother's deadline days look like a cake-walk. My mother, whom raised me in Virginia, worked at the local newspaper in my hometown for about 14 years. I always remember that Tuesday's were her deadline days. When my little brother and I were young she would bring us with her to work sometimes. I can distinctively remember myself badgering her with nonsensical questions as phones were ringing, feet were shuffling, and Mom typing and talking away to eager clients, "Mom?" . . . "Mommy?" . . . "MOM!?" I shouted. She mumbles something of an "excuse me" into the phone, and kindly (but somehow always stern.) tells me, "Paigey, It's Tuesday, which means it's deadline day, I have a lot of work to do, can we do this later?" I never did that term, "later." My ludicrous notion of always being bored. My poor Mother. 


          I now have ventured off into the world to go live in my significant others hometown of Stanley, North Dakota. We got here May 2nd, 2015 at around 5pm. Our dog Diesel, he and I arrived safely and surprisingly full of energy after our 3 day trip. We live in a very old, tiny, two bedroom house with an unfinished basement, back patio, front and back yard, and gravel driveway. It really is something to look at a house online 1,650 miles away and finally arriving to move in. We miraculously beat the timing for all our endeavors that we set goals for.  It took us a whole weekend just he and I to move all of our belongings in the house and arrange them accordingly. Coming from Leesburg, Virginia (Population 47,673 according to the 2013 US Census.) to Stanley, North Dakota (Population 2,060 according to the 2013 US Census.) was quite an experience. The interesting fact is both those numbers have doubled since the year 2000, making Stanley and Leesburg not too different in the sense of demand for people to fill a fast growing economy of jobs. The difference between the two? Oil. 
          
           I live in an area called, "The Bakken." For many Oil connoisseur's, they will know exactly what this terminology means. However, since my stay in the Bakken, I never knew there was a reasoning behind the name. I also did not know how much I would love researching Oil formations. The Bakken formation, is a rock unit from the Late Devonian to Early Mississippian age occupying about 200,000 square miles of the subsurface of the Williston Basin, underlying parts of MontanaNorth DakotaSaskatchewan and ManitobaThe formation is entirely in the subsurface, and has no surface outcrop. It is named after Henry Bakken, a farmer in Tioga, (Small town about 25 miles west of Stanley)  North Dakota who owned the land where the formation was initially discovered, during drilling for oil. I have learned a lot in the month I have been here so far. Not only about myself, but about other people, and surrounding landmarks and their history. 

Tonight is the night that they hold Yoga classes at the Elementary School. Since the first class is free of charge, I might consider giving it a go. It feels very uplifting to be far away from a fast-paced, hurried lifestyle and to be able to focus on my own physical, and mental well-being. What a great opportunity this has been for me. What an extraordinary life experience. I couldn't be more grateful. 

I do miss friends and family greatly, but I am so excited to keep expanding my horizons. 
With all that being said, I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes by T.S. Eliot. . .

"We shall not cease from exploring, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."


Happy Trails. 

6 comments:

  1. Awe. Very happy about your new journey Paigee. Love you tons. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mamma! Hopefully I don't bore people to death with my first post. Haha.

      Delete
    2. First post and you have comments. I have what? 6? And not One! Lol. I don't care

      Delete
    3. Not sure where my other comment went. Basically said you won't bore anyone. Love to see these and this one was great! Also love your blog title.

      Delete
  2. Love it. Love you. Happy you are happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Thanks! I figure I will have a bunch of time to write, so why not keep my fam and friends updated. :) Love you too!

      Delete